Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Rollercoaster Knitting

Well, not to get your hopes up with the post title, but I wasn't rollercoaster knitting; my knitting has been a roller-coaster ride lately.

I'm working on the devastatingly gorgeous Path of Flowers Stole by Chrissy Gardiner. Shhhh, it's a surprise for my Mum's 60th birthday in October.

So, it's deadline knitting and it's the toughest lace I've ever knit. There are pattern rows on the purl side (ahhhhh!), and there are 2 different lace charts, which you knit from twice for each row. It's tough, and the centre motif (the gorgeous one that made me want to knit this shawl) is not memorizable by mere mortals. It's a vertical motif, and as I'm knitting horizontally, it's not going to implant in my brain. (The problems I'm having are in no way the designer's fault... the pattern is beautifully written and laid-out on the page. This is just a bit of a reach for me.)

I'm using a KidSilk Haze knock-off from Romni (20% off sale, woooo!), in a lovely robin's egg blue. The colour changes depending on the light, which I love.

Well, this knitting has driven me crazy. I've ripped back FOUR TIMES now. But I think I can finally read the lace, so this is my last attempt. If I can't get it on this try (I swear I'd have half the thing done if I could add up all the knitting I've done) then I'm moving onto another project. Luckily for my Mum, I love her enough to keep working on this shawl (but even this love has its limits... I can't give up any more sanity for this project...)

In lieu of my normal camera, I'm using my webcam (I'm camping at my parents' house due to a family emergency right now - which also makes sneaky knitting for my mum quite tough).

Therefore, I present to you a montage of my knitting feelings:

Knitting Despair at my frogged lace -- which won't even frog the whole way:
Photo 117

Knitting Joy at a new cast on -- complete with my favourite stitch-markers from Lisa:
Photo 126

And Knitting Peace -- working on the lace, for the fifth time:
Photo 128

And of course, here is my Path of Flowers Stole Ravelry Page, in case you want more frequent updates.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Hope you get it this time. It can be so frustrating, especially when you want it for someone special

2:58 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I forgot I had made you stitchmarkers! Rainbow ones, right? Cool! (I still remember my SP Monkeemaven every time I use her stitchmarkers.)

10:06 AM  
Blogger Linz said...

Two sets, actually!

One red and orange set with small hooks, and one blue with larger hooks.

(I really hope these are from you, or else I'm misattributing, and I think of you everytime I use them!)

9:34 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

That sounds about right... I remember now, the rainbow ones were for a different SP!

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home