Monday, April 10, 2006

Unholy Heels!

Well, I have finally done it. I finally have created a toe-up sock without gaps in the heel.
Want to know the secret? Well, I should have tried this years ago, but Wendy has the best Generic Toe-up Sock Pattern ever. It double wraps the short-row heel, and it works.

I would like to submit into evidence, Exhibit A: (a.k.a. gorgeous heel closeup)


In case you didn't quite catch that, there are no gaps in the heels!!!!!

I have been trying to solve this problem for as long as I have been knitting socks. And man, am I glad to have found a solution. (And it's fun to do. Give it a shot!)

Hopefully I'll have made much more progress by the end of the week... the deadline for mailing out socks is rather close to my final exams...

4 Comments:

Blogger Lucia said...

That is beautiful, Linz! What do you do to prevent a hole at the join between the heel and the rest of the sock (if you knit the heel in a different color, this is the point that the heel color makes roughly an inch below the ankle bone)? I find that this hole can appear with either peasant or short-row heels. I do a lot of jury-rigging with picking up and twisting sts and then decreasing again to get back to the original number.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lucia,
I picked up a couple of stitches on each side and then decreased back down on the next row.

I picked up the stitches a little lower than I might normally pick them up... almost in the 'wrap' of the stitch... and with a couple of them, I picked up two stitches and slipped one over the other, which closed the gap pretty well. But really, I made it up. I didn't twist any stitches though.

Hope that helps!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

Love the socks. They looks like they will turn out beautifully. I've never tried toe-up, so I can't really comment on the hole issue, but they look great to me!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Linz said...

Thanks, Emma! I am really happy with them!

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home