Sunday, April 16, 2006

Baby Blanket planning

So I think I'm designing a Celtic-inspired baby blanket... phew. This is going to be crazy.

I'm still struggling to find yarn. It needs to be pink and washable, have great stitch definition and be wonderfully soft.

But I think the pattern is percolating nicely in my head.
I've got two cables I'm debating:
Image hosting by Photobucket
Wake from AranPaint (great software!)

and
Image hosting by Photobucket
Simple Celtic from The Girl from Auntie.

Either of them would be around the border of the blanket, I think. So it would have a garter edge, then the cabled border, and then stockinette inside.

What say you?

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I think the second one is more typically Celtic-looking; the overall pattern sounds like a good idea. (Although I dislike purling so I might do garter for the centre, but that's for convenience and speed, not looks!)
As for yarn, assuming you don't want to use cotton (often mashine washable, but you mentioned you don't enjoy knitting with it, plus cables often don't turn out as nice as with wool), I'm thinking superwash is your friend. Do a search on "superwash" on yarndex.com for some ideas...

8:33 AM  
Blogger Linz said...

Yes, I prefer the second one too.
It might have to be a stripe on each side, vertically -- and not horizontal... or else I don't know what to do with the corners!

Thanks for the 'superwash' suggestion -- I was looking at some Cascade superwash that I might need to get.

The mom-to-be picked out some acrylic... I'm going to swatch it and see what happens. It might be a sweater, booties and bonnet set and I do the blanket out of something else. We'll see.

12:38 AM  
Blogger The Sinister Knitter said...

I bought some reeeeaaallly soft yarn in pink at Lewiscraft this past saturday (they have restocked) I will get the name if you like (I am making the womb from knitty)

Go with number 2 and if you manage this pattern can I borrow it????

1:15 PM  
Blogger Linz said...

Vanessa - thanks for the encouragement. And of course I'd get the pattern to you!

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home