Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Another Christmas Scarf

My friend, Matt, has requested a scarf for Christmas.

We just bought him a herringbone charcoal grey coat today. It's lovely.

So I am trying to figure out what scarf he needs to go with it -- especially now that I know he loves wool, and especially merino. Any boy that knows his favourite type of wool gets bonus points and a nice scarf in my book.

I know a plain rib would work, but that's kind of dull.

Do you think this is masculine? (Or could be in a more masculine colour?)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It's the Irish Hiking Scarf from Helloyarn. Isn't it delicious.

Do you think this is appropriate, and if so what do you think would be a good colour for a guy (with a herringbone grey coat)?

Edited to add:
This is the coat:

And I was debating this colour scarf... too light for a guy? Because the coat is so dark, I don't quite know what to do.


I'm wondering if this is too dark:


I wish I could find a speckled, tweedy grey that wasn't quite so dark.

12 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I think it's quite an appropriate, masculine pattern. I'm a contrasty person, so I would probably make it in a much paler or much deeper grey than the coat, or maybe a nice heathery/tweedy oatmeal or ivory colour with flecks/shots/threads of grey?

2:39 PM  
Blogger Linz said...

Now that is HELPFUL! thanks!

I saw a lovely tweed here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8228694405&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

but I don't think it's contrasty enough or enough yarn.

I was thinking maybe this:
http://www.knitpicks.com/kpimages/Big/23450.jpg

because this is the coat:
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=9002&pid=315704

2:45 PM  
Blogger Karlie said...

If he has a herringbone coat, he's classy enough to want a cabled scarf ;) What about a dark brown or charcoal grey scarf to go with the coat (is it dark or light tweed? I'd go contrasty too). I'd go look at the coat, but your url is cut off ;)

4:13 PM  
Blogger Linz said...

I'll put the coat in the entry now...

6:28 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Maybe you could introduce him to the joys of baby alpaca? I like the "Fog" colour in the KnitPicks Andean Treasure...

12:01 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Or "Ash" is nice in the KP Elegance (70% baby alpaca, 30% silk!!)

12:04 PM  
Blogger Linz said...

mmmm, baby alpaca.
I love that too...

2:55 PM  
Blogger Carola said...

Stylish coat. I'm sorry, I have no tip for a merino tweed yarn but I agree with some of the other comments - contrast! I would go for a paler grey as well. And definitley cables.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Linz said...

Thanks, Carola... I agree!
It's nice to know I'm not way off base here.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Two merino possibilities:
Laines de Nord Dolly Maxi in Smoke Grey, or maybe MaggiKnits Merino Aran in Pale Grey, both from Elann...

6:35 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Ooh! That baby alpaca/merino blend I got you from Elann comes in a "Pearl Grey Tweed" that might work! Go look...

6:41 PM  
Blogger Linz said...

Those are lovely, but they're not right... I have to go take him a bunch of samples and see what fibres he likes.
Thanks for the help though, Lisa... I'll figure it out eventually!

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home