Sunday, May 14, 2006

Kool-aid Power!

Well... yesterday was the great adventure in kool-aid with the fabulous Vanessa, pictured in the photos below!

Want to see what we got up to? I thought you might... there are lots of pics.

Here goes...

We had decided to hand-paint koolaid. We were dyeing for Dye-o-rama, but I think these were practice skeins.

First we made our peg warping boards, inpired by Almost Random:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And set up our dyeing supplies:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Then we wrapped our yarn:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tangled our yarn:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Watched the yarn:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And got our yarn into a ball. By the lilac tree:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We set out our colours:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(by the Vespa):
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

and hand-painted our yarn:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

All painted:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And ready to be nuked:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Of course, the finished product is drying and not at my house. So pics will be forthcoming.

But really, you should all get out and dye!

There are some great tutorials out there. Two of them are here and here if you are so inclined.

Project Details:
Yarn: Knitpicks Color Your Own (Fingering Weight)

My Dye: Kool-aid in Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade and Lemon-Lime
Vanessa's Dye: Kool-aid in Cherry, Strawberry, Island Punch, Orange and Grape.

7 Comments:

Blogger The Sinister Knitter said...

yay.

1:08 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

I should try your method! I tried hand-dyeing with Kool Aid twice and failed both times. Your way looks much easier than how I did it! Gonna check out your links and give it a try!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Linz said...

Thanks, Lexa! It worked fabulously! I can't wait to knit with it!

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job dyeing. I just built my warping board today using Scout's instructions....phew...it's a great one..but when I look at how simple yours was, I wanna hit myself in the head. LOL. Nah...I did quite a good job.

I added you to my bloglines. =)

1:26 AM  
Blogger shoeboots said...

What a fun dye job! I love your pictures! Very project spectrum!

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous dye job! Love the colors [and the vespa!]

10:02 AM  
Blogger Linz said...

Bee - thanks! I think one day I do want a warping board like Scouts... this was just for trying things out.

Shoeboots - we had so much fun doing the dyeing! I had forgotten the project spectrum May colours -- looks like it worked out well!

Jessica - thanks! I wish that was my Vespa!

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home