Wednesday, November 23, 2005

I got spoiled...

Well, after the big opera debut this weekend, I've come home to celebrate my birthday.

Before I got home, I got a lovely package from my SP5, who revealed herself! Of course, all of the stuff is back at my apartment and I am not... so that will have to come next week. (But it is all wonderful, and worth the wait, believe me!)

It seems that people here have caught on, and are getting me knitting-related stuff. Cool!

First, I came home to a lovely package from my friend Lisa, who was my SP4. Not only was there a great looking John Irving book, and a cell phone charm, there was yarn, and a handmade teddy-bear (made by her MIL)!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And my parents seem to have understood the knitting thing. They found me a fabulous pattern book from Jane Ellison, who is now one of my favourite designers. The book I have is Queensland Collection, and I swear to you, I want to make everything in it.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

That pink thing is actually of one of the fluffiest, softest yearns I have ever felt. It's all fake, but it's so lovely. It is kind of like a mohair with strands of boucle-y bits... really, that doesn't sound appetizing, but it's lovely. And it's going to make me a very fashionable scarf!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

4 Comments:

Blogger Karlie said...

Oooh so pretty! You'll have fun with that. I have my teensy-weensy little concert on Dec 1, and I'm very nervous. I never used to be terrified singing in front of people, but I absolutely froze and almost threw up at my last exam. Any tips?

11:39 AM  
Blogger Linz said...

Tips for nerves? Well...

1) Preparation. Know your song cold. Know the words cold. Be able to recite the words like a monologue.

2) Breathing. Just breathe. A lot. It helps. I promise.

3) Act confident. It will work. Project confidence and you will feel it. It can be: "oh, I am so good", or "check out my high note" or whatever, but it helps.

4) "Do your doings" -- if you get into your character, and really think the character's thoughts and only work towards whatever it was that your character wants (eg. to convince your father to let you marry random boy X), you won't have time to be nervous.

Hope that helps! If you want to talk about it more, I'm happy to have a little e-mail chat.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Karlie said...

Thanks, I will definitely remember those! I'm starting up yoga again, and I'm also trying to start meditating - visualizing a flame in front of me while counting my breaths (S-L-O-W breaths :) and that seems to be helping a bit. Thankfully, the one song I don't know really well (Come and Trip It) I don't have to do if I don't feel comfortable, and that leaves just one solo (Messiah recits 13, 14, and 15) and two duets (S'ull Aria and Abends Will Ich Schlafen Gehn). Duets are sooooo much easier.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the knitting thing is making a comeback again in fashion. My friend is actually buying knitted clothes this season for herself and as gifts for our other friends.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home